* During the last couple of weeks, Nigerian media has really discovered the dreadlocked striker Andrew Abalogu from ABS FC. Abalogu, who played for second level side Abia Warriors FC last season, has so far scored seven league goals during his first season at top level of Nigerian football. According to MTN Football, Abalogu is born 03.10.1992. He is apparently 175 centimeters and 70 kilos, and scored six goals for Abia Warriors FC during the Nigeria National League 2010-2011.
The picture of Abalogu was found on MTN Football: http://www.mtnfootball.com/africa/nigeria/premier-league/news/2012/june/14-npl-star-of-the-week-andrew-abalogu.html.
* Apparently, Dolphins FC has signed promising striker Abubakar Umar from Wikki Tourists FC. Umar, who has scored four league goals so far this season, was part of the Nigeria U-20 national football team earlier this season.
* If Ocean Boys FC will stay clear of relegation this season, captain Andrew Nwodu should get big parts of the credit. Nwodu, a central defender or defensive midfielder, is a hard-working, experienced player, formerly of Rangers International FC, Nasarawa United FC and Sharks FC.
* Lobi Stars FC made a stroke of genius when they signed goalkeeper John Lawrence (born 07.04.1987) from Enyimba FC. Lawrence has made several eye-catching performances this season.
* Samuel Olabisi, the centre-back at Shooting Stars FC, has been one of the discoveries of the season. Olabisi, formerly of the Westerlo Football Academy in Lagos, has forced his way into the first team during the three last months. According to Felele247, Olabisi has played 15 consecutive matches for 3SC without getting a single yellow card.
* I find it rather obvious that right-winger Gomo Onduku of Sharks FC will feature on several “Team of the season-lists” later this summer. Onduku, one of the most exciting prospects in the Nigeria Premier League, has scored eight league goals so far this season.
* Kola Anubi (born 24.03.1987) of Sharks FC is also a player who deserves a lot more attention. Anubi, widely considered as one of the best central midfielders in the league, has been consistent all season and scored four league goals.
* Sherif Jimoh (born 10.10.1992) of Kwara United FC is another player who rarerly gets headlines despite having an impressive season. Jimoh has a lot of defensive responsibilities and balances the team well, but also has the ability to make decisive passes.
* Warri Wolves FC has signed Musa Kundi, an experienced midfielder or right-back, formerly of Sharks FC, Ocean Boys FC, Akwa United FC and Ocean Boys FC.
* Mensah Nsouhoho (born 31.12.1990), the Togolese goalkeeper of Rangers International FC, is currently giving regular first-choice Godwin Ayalogu competition for the number one shirt. Nsouhoho played for the Togo U-17 national football team during the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in South Korea.
* On 10.06.2012, towering central defender James Okwuosa (born 14.09.1990) scored his first league goal of the season for Rangers International FC.
* Speaking of goalscoring defenders, Ike Thankgod (born 04.04.1985) of Warri Wolves FC has actually scored five goals so far this season. Thankgod, a rugged central defender, is a true warrior and almost unbeatable in the air.
* Later this month, Chikeluba Francis Ofoedu, the top scorer of Rangers International FC, will travel to Norwegian top level side Rosenborg BK for trials. Ofoedu has scored 10 league goals so far and here is a short summary of his goals:
1 goal against Kano Pillars FC on 01.02.2012. This was a penalty goal.
1 goal against Enyimba FC on 15.02.2012. According to MTN Football, Ofoedu “pounced on the ball after Enyimba goalkeeper Paul Godwin fumbled a cross by Haliru Umar”.
1 goal against Heartland FC on 19.02.2012. This was a penalty goal.
1 goal against ABS FC on 26.02.2012. According to Felele247, Ofoedu capitalized on a defensive blunder by ABS FC.
1 goal against Lobi Stars FC on 04.03.2012. According to Peoples Daily, Ofoedu scored after beating Moses Bunde of Lobi Stars FC from the right flank.
1 goal against Ocean Boys FC on 14.03.2012. I have not found information about this goal but apparently Ofoedu beat the Ocean Boys defenders so I believe it was scored from open play.
1 goal against Akwa United FC on 25.03.2012. I have not found information about this goal but I believe it was scored from open play.
1 goal against Shooting Stars FC on 01.04.2012. The goal was described as follows on http://www.shootingstarssc.net:
“Rangers got a controversial first goal when Chikweluba Ofoedu pulled back Olabisi Samuel before rounding Dele Ajiboye and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner in the 27th minute, with the centre referee receiving knocks for allowing the goal to stand despite obvious foul.”
1 goal against Gombe United FC on 29.04.2012. According to goal.com, Ofoedu scored after good interchange of passes with midfielders Chinedu Sunday and Ugonna Uzochukwu.
1 goal against Jigawa Golden Stars FC on 02.05.2012. This was a penalty goal.
Based on the above, Ofoedu has scored seven goals from open play and three penalty goals. At the time of writing, Rangers International FC has played 31 matches and I believe Ofoedu has played almost every one of them. Ofoedu, who is most likely born in 1992, is definitely a promising player but his goalscoring record is not that impressive. Ofoedu was presented in my post from 12.03.2012: