On 26.09.2011, the Ghana Football Association published the squads for the GLO Premier League 2011-2012. Tema Youth FC, from the seaport city of Tema about 25 kilometers east of the Ghanaian capital Accra, is one of the newly promoted teams in the league. I have gone through the Tema Youth squad and made some observations:
* Tema Youth FC has a very young squad. Apparently, only three players are over 23 years of age. The big stars of the team are arguably playmaker Abdulai Hamza, an attacking midfielder who played for top club Hearts of Oak SC in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010, and midfielder Derrick Mensah. Mensah was part of the Ghana U-23 national football team in early 2011.
* Joseph Halm is an experienced goalkeeper and I would assume he is the first choice at the club. Tema Youth FC has signed a player called “Mohammed Abbas” and this could very well be the talented goalkeeper from the Red Bull Academy, born 07.10.1991.
* Issah Sayibu and Jonathan Eshun could also be former players of the Red Bull Academy, but this is yet to be confirmed. Jonathan Eshun of the Red Bull Academy is a very talented defender, born 13.11.1994, who was part of the Ghana U-17 national football team in 2010.
* Defenders Benjamin Akuffo and Emmanuel Ofori Teyehugmeh are two new signings from the very strong U-20 team of Berekum Chelsea FC. A clip of Teyehugmeh can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC8N7egzQwQ. Akuffo was part of the Ghana U-17 national football team in 2010.
According to a source I find trustworthy, defender Jeremiah Arkorful was captaining the side in the promotion season.
* The experienced Bernard Akuffo is a goalscoring midfielder and some of his qualities can be viewed in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_6cxpPhQM. I’ve also found a clip of another midfielder at the club, Zubeiru Salifu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgU7_aAr5MI. Issah Huzeifa was apparently brilliant last season and could be a player to look out for.
* Right-winger Kofi Koomson is one of few players with top level experience. Koomson was actually part of the team as early as the season 2006-2007, which obviously makes it somewhat strange that he is registered with the birthdate 06.06.1992.
* According to a source I find trustworthy, striker Daniel Appiah was one of the leading scorers for Tema Youth FC in the promotion season.
* Watch out for the Odjer-brothers! Midfielder Moses Odjer was very important when Tema Youth FC won promotion and his brother Nicholas Odjer is a talented striker.
* Tema Youth FC has signed a player called John Nyamekye. I am still not sure if this is the striker John Nyamekye of Anokye Stars FC that was starring for the Ghana U-17 national football team in 2009 and 2010. If this is the same player, Tema Youth FC has possibly signed one of the future stars of Ghanaian football. Tema Youth FC has also signed a player called John Antwi. I am not sure if this is the big striker John Antwi of Hearts of Oak SC, formerly of Eleven Wise FC, as some sources claim has joined Wassaman United FC. An experienced strongman as Antwi could nevertheless be very much needed in the young, inexperienced squad.
* The picture is of the talented defensive midfielder Charles Ankapong and is taken from scoutingtalents.com.
Known players in the squad:
|ATTAMAH, Joseph Larweh||D||GHA|
|BARTELS, Joseph Kofi||M||GHA|
|TEYEHUGMEH, Emmanuel Ofori||D||07.10.1992||GHA|
Other players in the squad, according to the Ghana Football Association:
Mohammed Abass, Richard Amesimeku, John Antwi, Joseph Nii Amartei, Emmanuel Boateng, Jonathan Eshun, Enoch Koomson, Francis Narh, Mustapha Osman, Bernard Ossah, Kenneth Owusu, James Lolo Terkpetey.