* One of the talking points of Ghanaian football is currently whether Bernard Dong Bortey (born 22.09.1982), the playmaker of Aduana Stars FC, will join Asante Kotoko FC for the GLO Premier League 2011-2012.
* Experienced striker Alex Aryee, formerly of Liberty Professionals FC, Wa All Stars FC and Sporting Mirren FC, is in fine form for Aduana Stars FC and has scored three league goals since January 2011.
* Nana Poku (born 01.09.1988) of Arsenal FC Berekum scored his tenth league goal this weekend. A magnificent achievement for the strong striker who has been a handful for many defenses this season.
* It can now be confirmed that Saliu Yakubu (born 21.04.1983), the right-back / center-back who previously captained Arsenal FC Berekum, joined Ebusua Dwarfs in January 2011, where he has established himself in the back-four.
* Asante Kotoko FC are apparently unhappy with their trio of goalkeepers; Isaac Amoako (born 20.08.1983), George Arthur (born 16.03.1987) and former Burkina Faso international Abdoulaye Soulama (born 29.11.1974). According to unconfirmed reports, Kotoko are interested in Nana Bonsu (born 01.12.1988) who played for Real Tamale United FC in 2009-2010. Other rumors suggest that Asante Kotoko FC will sign Alhaji Sani and Theophilus Anobaah of AshantiGold SC before the new season. Sani and Anobaah can both play as right-wingers or central midfielders and have been in fine form during the current campaign.
* Ivorian striker Ahmed Touré (born 17.07.1987) and speedster Nathaniel Asamoah (born 22.02.1990) have established a wonderful partnership and are currently leading the attack of Asante Kotoko FC. The duo has scored seven goals in the last five matches (Touré 3, Asamoah 4). Nathaniel Asamoah is the top goalscorer of the GLO Premier League 2010-2011 with 13 goals. Six of the goals were scored when he played for Wa All Stars FC in the first half of the season. Ahmed Touré joined Asante Kokoto FC in January 2011 and is a former player of KSC Lokeren (Belgium). Touré is a very lively and hard-working striker. I have previously written that I doubted his ability to lead the Kotoko-attack and it would very well be that I was wrong.
* Goalkeeper Fatau Dauda (born 06.05.1985) is in brilliant form for AshantiGold SC. Dauda played for the Ghana national football team on 15.10.2008 in a friendly against South Africa.
* From my point of view, Joseph Addo (born 02.11.1990) of Heart of Lions FC has been the best goalkeeper of the GLO Premier League 2010-2011. Fans of Heart of Lions FC will be hoping that the club manages to hold on to goalkeeper Addo, defender Kweku Andoh, midfielders Gladson Awako (born 31.12.1990) and Bright Nsiah (born 19.10.1988) and striker Gilbert Fiamenyoh (born 06.07.1992). These five players are essential for the team, which both local and foreign clubs have noticed. Yesterday, the burly Fiamenyoh scored his fourth goal of the season.
* Central midfielder Esme Mends is currently captaining Hearts of Oak SC with success. I have previously written that Mends is born 22.10.1989 which is probably wrong. According to the Ghana Football Association, Mends is born 25.04.1979 while FIFA licensed agency Yahana Consult claims he is born 22.02.1986. Mends is a former player of Real Sportive Tema and Great Ambassadors FC. Mends has the ability to dictate the play and has a very good passing range.
* King Faisal Babes has signed central midfielder Elias Ankrah, formerly of Asante Kotoko FC, who was part of the Ghana U-23 national football team later this season. Some of the qualities of Ankrah can be viewed in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Aljt50g6o.
* Emmanuel Dogbe (born 06.01.1990) of Medeama SC has been one of the revelations of the season. Midfielder Dogbe scored his fourth goal of the season on Monday.
* Ebenezer Ofori and Abdul Basit of New Edubiase United FC are two of the players I am currently are trying to find more information about. The duo has scored five goals in the last three matches (Ofori 2, Basit 3).
* The Ghana U-23 national football team is participating in the WAFU Cup later this week. The WAFU Cup has traditionally been for home-based players but Ghana is apparently sending U-23 players to the tournament, including Quincy Osei and Sadick Adams who played in Finland and Tunisia last time I checked. According to the Ghana Football Association, the Ghana-squad for the tournament consists of the following players:
Daniel Agyei (Liberty Professionals FC), Joseph Addo (Heart of Lions FC), Mohammed Sabato (Asante Kotoko FC), Kweku Andoh (Heart of Lions FC), Joshua Otoo (Wa All Stars FC), Aziz Ibrahim (AshantiGold SC), Daniel Gyamfi (Liberty Professionals FC), Edward Kpodo (Berekum Chelsea FC), Edwin Gyimah (Wa All Stars FC), Malik Akowuah (AshantiGold SC), Nathaniel Asamoah (Asante Kotoko FC), Bright Nsiah (Heart of Lions FC), Emmanuel Baffour (New Edubiase United FC), Atia Sumaila (Real Tamale United FC), Yakubu Mohammed (AshantiGold SC), Bismark Idan (Berekum Chelsea FC) Quincy Osei (FC Haka, Finland), Sadick Adams (Etoile Sportive du Sahel, Tunisia).
The squad is not very controversial but I was surprised to see some of the names. Daniel Agyei (born 10.11.1989) is hardly playing for Liberty Professionals FC where Patrick Antwi (born 04.11.1987) seems to be first choice. However, Agyei is a very talented goalkeeper and has always been popular with the different national teams. The versatile Mohammed Sabato (born 24.12.1989) has only played a couple of matches for Asante Kotoko FC since joining them in January 2011. Atia Sumaila of Real Tamale United FC is born 20.06.1985 according to the Ghana Football Association, so it is possible that the squad indeed is a B-squad and not a U-23 squad. I don’t understand the inclusion of defender Daniel Gyamfi (born 28.09.1984), a fringe player at Liberty Professionals FC.
However, it is nice to see that defenders Joshua Otoo of Wa All Stars FC and Aziz Ibrahim of AshantiGold SC have been rewarded for their great performances this season. Otoo is a former member of the Red Bull Academy while I believe that Ibrahim is the former player of New Edubiase United FC and King Faisal Babes, born 06.10.1993.